LostIncaGold encapsulates the story of the Spanish Conquest, and events about the Treasure of The Llanganaties in a timeline that combines photos, videos and existing stories in one well-rounded interactive package.
Timeline of the Inca Conquest and the Treasure of the Llanganatis:
Birth and rise of the Inca Empire
- 900 to 1200 A.D. – The Killke culture occupy the Cusco area.
- 1150 to 1200 – A first Inca tribe settles in near Cusco.
- Circa 1200 – The legendary first Sapa Inca, Manco Capac, establishes the city of Cusco.
- 1200 to 1400 – The Incas occupy the Cusco valley but not sign of aggressive expansion have been recorded.
- 1438 – The city of Cusco is attacked by the Chanca tribe. Viracocha Inca flees the city.
- 1438 to 1463 – Viracocha’s son, Inca Yupanqui, defends the city of Cusco against the Chancas. He becomes Pachacuti (Pachacutec) and starts a rapid territorial expansion while reorganizing the governmental system. The Inca civilization develops into the Inca Empire, the Tawantinsuyu.
- 1463 – The Inca Empire keeps expanding, due to the military campaigns launched by Túpac Inca Yupanqui (Topa Inca), Pachacuti’s son. The Inca Empire expands all the way to Ecuador.
- 1471 – After Pachacuti’s death, Túpac Inca becomes king. He then pursue the expansion of the Inca Empire to the South, into Chile, Bolivia and Argentina.
- 1493 – Huayna Cápac, Túpac Inca’s son, becomes king. He also further expands the Inca Empire over the following 30 years.
- Circa 1471 – Birth of Francisco Pizarro, in Truxillo, region of Extremadura, Spain.
- Oct 12, 1492 – Christopher Columbus discovers the Americas.
- 1510 – Pizarro joins the expedition to Uraba, in Tierra Firma, under the command of Alonzo de Ojeda.
- 1513 – Vasco Nunez de Balboa discovered the Pacific Ocean by route of Panama. Francisco Pizarro is among the team of explorers.
- 1519 – Hernan Cortez, with only 508 men and 16 horses, discovers and destroy the Aztec civilization.
- 1524 – Pizarro’s first expedition.
- March 10, 1526 – An agreement is signed between Luque, Almagro and Pizarro, to solit the results of their expeditions.
- Summer 1528 – Pizarro arrives in Seville.
- July 26, 1529 – The Queen of Spain executes the ‘Capitulation’, document that defines the powers and privileges to Pizarro.
Inca Civil War and Spanish Conquest
- 1527 – The Inca Empire is ravaged by a smallpox epidemic brought by the first Europeans. Huayna Cápac dies without an heir. His two sons, Huáscar and Atahualpa engaged into a bloody civil war.
- 1532 – Atahualpa defeats Huáscar’s forces.
- 1532 – Leaded by Francisco Pizarro, the Spanish arrive on the north coast of Peru.
- September 24, 1532 – Pizarro leaves Tumbez with his troops.
- November 15, 1532 – Pizarro arrived at Caxamalca.
- 1532 – Atahualpa is captured by the conquistadors in Cajamarca. The Inca Emperor is then ransomed before being executed. Manco Inca, Atahualpa’s brother, is installed by the Spaniards to control the Empire.
- February 1533 – Almagro arrives in Caxamalca which allows Pizarro to push forward his conquest in the interior area of Peru.
- November 15, 1533 – The Spanish conquistadors capture Cusco.
- March 24, 1534 – Pizarro establishes the basis of a municipal government in Cusco by appointing two alcaldes and eight regidores.
- January 6, 1535 – Pizarro fund the future city of Lima, initially called Ciudad de Los Reyes (City of Kings).
- 1536 to 1537 – Manco Inca leads a rebellion against the Spanishs, laying siege to Cusco. Despite a victory in the Battle of Ollantaytambo, Manco Inca has to flee upon the arrival of Spanish reinforcements.
- 1537 – Manco Inca takes refuge in the isolated region of Vilcabamba where the remnants of the Inca Empire form an independent stronghold.
- 1572 – The Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire is completed with the fall of Vilcabamba. Túpac Amaru, son of Manco Inca and the last ruler of the Inca Empire, is captured and executed.
New Civil War and The Fall of Pizarro
- July 12, 1537 – Battle of Abancay.
- June 26, 1541 – A small group of Almagro’s men enter into Pizarro’s palace, and kill him.